Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Blocking Kazaa

From: "Steven Alexander" <alexander.s () mccd edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:11:07 -0700

You could use an IDS such as snort to detect traffic from kazaa or other
p2p software.  This would alert you that people are using the software
but wouldn't actively prevent it.

If you script well, you could have snort monitor just p2p traffic and
pipe the output to a script that automatically adds rules to block IP
addresses that your user's p2p software connects to.  Make sure the
snort box connects via ssh and that it does not accept incoming
connections at all.

Btw, Port 80 is used as a backup port number for kazaa.

-steven