Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN and NAT

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:42:35 +0200

OK, that's all pretty ugly.

First of all, when you say "real" IP addresses, I assume that you mean
"someone else's", which creates the problem that you might need to reach
internal addresses as well as the legitimate owner of those addresses.

I am visualising your network as a more complicated version of this:

[in]--(nat)[outgoing DMZ]--(fw / nat again etc)[Internet]

If that's so, then the one thing I _wouldn't_ like to do is add lots of
statics at the border between the in and outgoing DMZ networks to make
internal hosts reachable, because that increases the complexity, and means
that you may have to guarantee that all of these statics are now blocked at
the firewall to prevent Internet people seeing them. It would create a
potential race / correspondance problem between two configs which is almost
always bad. In addition, 0wn3ed DMZ hosts now have a hole they can poke at.

Terminate the VPN such that users are assigned IPs in the internal (as in
"real / someone else's") range. Things will then work just fine unless they
need to talk to the actual owners of those addresses. Since you don't say
that you're doing full "INAT" or Illegal NAT then maybe this isn't currently
a big problem. You could add filtering to this step, depending on if you can
get some kind of firewall inline between the VPN termination and the
internal net. In a word, this makes the VPN users internal.

Terminate the VPN users in a separate DMZ with separate addressing which is
logically inside and parallel to the normal inside network. Put a firewall
between the in and vpn nets and another between the vpn and outgoing DMZ
nets. The only real difference is that you can NAT the in network to make
hosts available to the VPN users, while VPN users can still reach the actual
owners of those IPs. It also means that these mappings are only ever visible
to people that have authenticated on the VPN.

In either option, always make sure that VPN users are assigned into an IP
range which isn't shared with any other kind of device - this is important
for log and audit.

There are lots of other variants of the above, using added firewalls etc. I
prefer the second option, but it's much more work if you need to make lots
of internal hosts available via static NAT mappings.

bonne chance...

ben