Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Where do firewall Admins Sit in An Company

From: Tony Miedaner <miedaner () twcny rr com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:13:22 -0400

Thanks for the response,

What really irks me is that I believe the so called "security mainstream" is pushing dotted line reporting Security Management, at least in the non-government arena. It is doomed to fail. I have seen over and over that security concerns get a low priority in dotted line reporting structures and response is horribly slow.

At 06:15 PM 6/5/2003 -0400, R. DuFresne wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Tony Miedaner wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> Ahhh...the problem is that if security doesn't know the baseline and
> doesn't know the network and the services running on it (keep in mind very
> large network) how effective is it.

Which, according to Marcus and a few others I've had conversations with
from this and other lists is quite common, many, perhaps far too many,
companies lack a clue about what really traverses their network.  Thus all
the troubles integrating/shimming IDS comfortably into an environment..

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!