Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: An article from Peter Tippett/TruSecure...

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:19:20 -0500

One of the fundamental principles of rsik management is weighting your
vulnerabilities, threats, and costs to give an expected cost of each threat.
That is why using something like the SANS top 20 threats
(http://www.sans.org/top20/) as a guideline is most useful. The SANS list is
those vulnerabilities most exploited. Harden and patch your system against
those first, because they are the ones you are most likely to face in real
life. This list is kept uptodate as new vulnerabilites are discovered, but
they are evaluated first before being listed.
   To properly evaluate risks of what you pass through your firewall, you
need to know three things.
1/ What risks you are willing to assume (a good security policy)
2/ What you have running behind the firewall (a complete up-to-date software
and hardware inventory).
3 What is hitting your firewall from the Internet
   A vulnerability list gives you the third, but the first is something the
few places have and the second is even rarer.
Without all three, your security is just hit and miss reaction.