Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Rationale for BSD (I)PF rule order?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Paul Robertson wrote:
Having lots of rules isn't necessarily a bad thing, if they don't change
much over time.

I don't agree. Many rules means that there is a complex policy with

You're allowed to disagree, but I'll stand by my statement...

many exceptions. That usually means that the security policy was
created by office politics and organizational leverage, not by good
security design. Which usually means that the firewall is there to
slow traffic down a little bit, and log stuff, but isn't doing much for
security.

If you're a large organization with a well-managed external DNS, and
you're piping that through a filter to business units, you could have 4x
<units> rules to allow UDP and TCP to your external DNS over the WAN
(assuming 2 servers per unit)- that gets you to "lots of rules" pretty
darned quickly if you have lots of business units.  Add a few "extranet"
connections to specific machines (benefits for each HR department for
example) and that total goes up pretty quickly.  So, even in an
environment where you've got a good default deny policy, if you're opening
specific holes due to business requirements, you'll end up with hundreds
or thousands of rules quite quickly.  Especially if you're transiting
traffic for business units to put on their own DMZ, but still providing an
overall organizational security stance.

If I were to guess, 90% of the firewalls I've seen in the last 10 years
fit into the category of "you've got to be fooling yourself!"

I agree, and that matches my experience, but that's not because of the
number of rules...

Paul