Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Custom Unix server installations -- to harden extensively ?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:15:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Julian Gomez wrote:

Hi,

What is the relative opinion of hardening general purpose Unix servers
(general == mail, web, db hosts). Obviously, wherever possible, I'd like to
get most of the unwanted packages stripped and removed; but very frequently
-- this is extremely time consuming and is alot of documentation work
(which btw, no one ever bothers to read).

I generally set up a custom install for Linux and Solaris, then make an
update set that needs to be run until it's time to fix the install
again...

Paul