Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: FW: Interior DMZs (PIX + Firewall of Choice)

From: "Keith A. Glass" <salgak () speakeasy net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 21:21:52 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com]On Behalf Of Weil,
Timothy R (BearingPoint)
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 12:58 PM
To: 'firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com'
Subject: [fw-wiz] FW: Interior DMZs (PIX + Firewall of Choice)

Just polling the list for favorite interior firewall products with
PIX interoperability as major critieria.  My firm is setting up a test
lab and I've been asked to scope products for the secondary DMZ.

Obvious candidates
       RAPTOR, CHECKPOINT, NOKIA

Potential candidates
       SONICWALL, LINUX

Selection criteria -- Given the small scale (limited budget), client demos
(low utilization) and low administrative overhead,

SonicWalls, from my experience, are a little chancy.  Good protection, but
hardware's occaisionally flaky.  a NetScreen is a better alternative.

Also, Secure Computing has their SidewinderG2 appliance, a 1U Dell box
with their hybrid of SideWinder and Gauntlet: a genuine proxying firewall.

Can't comment on how good it it is or not, though: never used it (but been
using Gauntlet for nearly 2 years now. . )