Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Custom Unix server installations -- to harden extensively ?

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:48:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Keith A. Glass wrote:

        [SNIP]

Like I said, I'll D/l it, so how tough it is to update the packages. .

Updating packages, or uninstalling and then compiling from source and
reinstalling specific parts of the system packages can be a real problem,
depending upon the dist.  Try moving from apache 1.3.X under redhat to
2.0.X.  Whether or not this is an issue with debian and or suse, I'm
unsure.  I know in my slackware builds, I work around some of the default
dist packages and do tinker with tarballs and such, to tweak, and funny
thing is, sometimes end up with far less a mess then those working woth
redhat/mandrake systems.  Then there are other issues of concern, like
support contracts.  The organization I work for is migrating some of our
web hosting servers to linux on the manframe.  So, IBM appears to be our
support vendor, and even though it has not been fully hashed out, I'm
betting pulling packages from the default 'images' and recompiling for
specific needs and taste is going to be an issue.  Course, I'm not sure
that even redoing the kernel might not be problematic from this
perspective....

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!