Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OT: Happy Birthday Marcus and Happy Guy Fawkes Day

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:06:30 -0500

Stiennon,Richard wrote:
Very appropriate to imply a connection between two people who are/were prone to setting off explosives, incendiary
devices, firearms, etc.  :-)

Mr Fawkes' objectives were political in nature - and he was a lot more
willing to hurt people for his beliefs than I am. :)    There's also a fundamental
mindset difference between the folks who try to set off barrels of gunpowder
(broad, indiscriminate targetting) and the folks who collect and shoot long-range
rifles (single point, highly discriminate targetting) I suspect if Guy Fawkes had
chosen his tools better, he'd have been more successful. A 660-grain power of
veto is something you can't help paying attention to.

mjr.