Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: trusted & untrusted ports

From: "Monkey Boy" <hydra291 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:35:42 -0500

Q1 - How to identifiy trust vs untrusted ports. As sometimes, users working within our network will ask to open certain ports in the firewall in order to allow communication to a certain application outside the coorporate network. From security prespective, based on what evaluation should i accept or reject opening the requested port(s) ? maybe it will know to be used by hackers, or viruses as a threat.

You would have to ask management what is and is not acceptable to them. Most ports that are opened by an application within your network will hand off that request on an ephemeral port as well. It is not as if say IE will hand off a browser request on port 80, it will handled by an ephemeral port. If you are going to be running services such as FTP, SMTP and the such then they do listen on a generally well known port such as 21 or 25 respectively. Those types of issues are fairly straight forward to resolve. However say running an irc server on 6667 is something your being asked I would have to take that up with management. That will definitely impact security, bandwidth, among other things. Bottom line each service which you are being asked to allow out has to be evaluated separately.

Q2 - Reading some technical documents about accessing applications over the net, I noticed that sometimes the connection is not a client/server technique, it could be through the http port, in other words, no need to open specific port in order to be able to access the net application from within our network coorporate since it is using the http port.

All communications outside of peer to peer stuff is based on a client/server model Hilal. Even if you are tunneling traffic out over port 80 it is still going out that port as a client request to a server somewhere. That does not change at all. Most services operate on well known ports such as the afore-mentioned FTP and SMTP. If you have employee's tunnelling traffic out over http then it may be time to have a chat with them and human resources over that being forbidden by company policy. Speaking of company policy you would need to have a clear and concise one which everyone has to read and sign off on.

regards,

Don