Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN and new ISP

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:55:20 -0500

Thus spake Richard Snow (rsnow () mountauburn org) [05/11/03 22:37]:
My question is, assuming that traceroute shows nothing unusual,
what would your next step be in troubleshooting the issue -- and
demonstrating the problem to your provider?

I know that there are different methods of traceroute -- using ICMP, UDP,
TCP, etc.  And I know that there exists at least one traceroute that will do
whatever protocol you give it -- I'm just not sure if it will do IPSec or
PPTP as a protocol.  If anyone can give any further details, I can't
remember the name of the tool -- I checked lft and ctrace, but neither will
do anything other than TCP/ICMP/UDP.

Other than that, just tell the person on the phone that they are blocking
IPSec/PPTP traffic.  And if they deny, ask to speak to Level 2.