Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPTables logging target: show pid/program name?

From: "Chris de Vidal" <chris () devidal tv>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:41:03 -0500 (EST)

William Stearns said:
      The "owner" match module could be used to check what
application/uid created the packet.  This can only be used in the OUTPUT
and POSTROUTING chains, but that's perfect for what you need.

Looks like exactly what I need.

I'm sure someone might need to see a previously-unknown application.  I
block outbound as well as inbound on my servers and I would like to know
if I have a trojan... without knowing the name, the above wouldn't give me
more information, other than alerting me to be suspicious.

But that's just icing on the cake; the above rules will be very helpful.
Thank you very much!!

/dev/idal