Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX 500 as ROUTER ONLY

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:16:24 +0100

Michael Leland wrote:

I have a PIX 500 that I want to use to connect two public IP networks.
I don't need to provide much security support, simply use it as a simple
router between subnets.  Any ideas???

AFAIK, the PIX software is pretty much specialized for firewalling.
Trying to turn it into a router might not be possible.

I suspect you could get it to work by cracking open the box, yanking
the boot card (flash + ROM) and popping in a linux router floppy or
somesuch though.  You can kiss your warranty and support contract
bye-bye, but if you insist on using the PIX hardware, I hear it's
doable [1]

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

[1] From customers of ours that just have to run our software on
    anything they come across, including other firewall hardware
    and ... um... X-Boxes [2]

[2] Whyever you'd want to run a firewall on something with
    a single NIC is beyond me, but ... :)