Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Large ecommerce site performance concerns

From: "K M" <fweng () mail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:09:41 -0500

I am attempting to add a firewall in front of a very large e-commerce site.  I have purchased a pair of HA PIX 535s for
this purpose.

The site currently (without firewall) has approximately 200,000 concurrent sessions and about 200Mbps at it's peak
hours.

Nearly all of the traffic is standard port 80 web traffic (average packet size is about 550bytes).

The PIX will NOT be performing any encrytpion.

The access-list is approximately 180 rules long.

There are approximately 10 dynamic nats and 100 static nats.

I know the PIX can support up to 500,000 concurrent sessions and 1.7Gbps of firewall traffic.  We appear to be well
under these specs.

My question is:  In your opinions, will the PIX be able to handle this type of load?

Thanks for the help