Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Jboss in a DMZ?

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:42:12 -0400 (EDT)

bugtraq'ed today:

================================
Illegalaccess.org Security Alert
================================

Date        : 10/04/2003
Application : JBoss, java server for running J2EE enterprise
              applications
Version     : 3.2.1
Website     : http://www.jboss.org
Problems    : Denial-Of-Service,
              Log Manipulation,
              Manipulation of Process variables,
              Arbitrary Command Injection

Might take alot of lockdown work!

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Adam Shostack wrote:

I'm looking to deploy jboss in a security sensitive (dmz-like)
situation.  Jboss wants to listen on a lot of ports, and my attempts
to firewall it (using ipfilter) aren't going well.

Has anyone done this?  Are you willing to share the firewalling rules
you used?  Allowing all localhost->localhost didn't work.  Will jboss
respect tcp wrappers?  Is there a way to specify listen on localhost
only in the attributes?

Naively throwing locahost:8083 in here (service.xml) didn't work:

  <mbean code="org.jboss.web.WebService"
         name="jboss:service=Webserver">
    <attribute name="Port">8083</attribute>

Adam

--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!