Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Source of T/TCP traffic

From: Knut Bjornstad <kbjo () interpost no>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:29:42 +0200

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:22:58PM +0200, Volker Tanger wrote:
Greetings!

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 Knut Bjornstad <kbjo () interpost no> wrote:

Our IDS are seeing a lot of peculiar T/TCP traffic - the alerts on
this is no problem in itself - I can easily disable them. But when I
try to analyze the traffic, it seems like ordinary web traffic from
various MS IE sources.

Do you see T/TCP, TAO or the braindead MS-IE/IIS speedup hack? Usually
newer IE try to send the HTTP request already in the SYN packet (or was
it first sending an ACK packet with the request?) ignoring the usual
need for a SYN - SYN/ACK - ACK handshake for a proper TCP connection.

While the IIS answers directly other servers respond with a RST, upon
which the IIS starts anew with the standard 3-way handshake. This way
a MS-IE/MS-IIS pair has a small speed advantage over standard clients
or servers. It's called improving industry standards, I fear.

If this is the traffic you see, you can safely ignore it (as MS-IE
does).

HTH

Volker Tanger
What I see is SYN packets with the ccnew TCP option set. I don't see a
full TAO since we don't have T/TCP. I do not fully know the MS-IE/IIS
speedup hack, but that is different isn't it?

I have some indication that this is some netdevice changing the traffic.
The browser field in my access logs report varying versions of MSIE, so
I think the adresses are NAT'ed for several clients.
--
--Knut Bjornstad -- ErgoIntegration AS ---Oslo, Norway-------
--kbjo () interpost no -- t:47 23 14 53 36 -- mob: 901 15 917 --