Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IPSEC over load-shared T1s (per packet)

From: "Jan Bervar" <jan () nil si>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:17:11 +0200

Just my 0.02 EUR... MPPP can be performance intensive on routers, and your
ISP may not be willing to implement it at all.

Cisco routers can also load-balance on a source-destination hash, which
means that ideally, L3 sessions are evenly balanced across a number of
links. In a VPN scenario, this works much better compared to
per-destination balancing, especially if the number of your VPN peers is
large and dynamically addressed. Both sides of the link(s) need to enable
Cisco Express Forwarding, and there is no significant perfomance hit
involved (provided their and your routers have the memory to handle CEF
tables).

Cheers,
Jan