Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IPSEC over load-shared T1s (per packet) (NxT1 and ML P)

From: TSimons () Delphi-Tech com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:46:39 -0400

Hello All

Just a status....
-The problem was ESP packets coming in out of sequence
-A Mikael O said I should try to strong arm our firewall vendor into fixing
this by recognizing and reordering the ESP packets, but I didn't get far.
-Cisco recommended Multilink PPP, which aggregates the 2 T1s into one 3mbit
virtual interface, our ISP welcomed this change -and we put it through.
I'll be testing and monitoring today.

Links on Cisco's Site:
-Alternatives for High Bandwidth Connections Using Parallel T1/E1 Links
  http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/ifaa/pa/much/tech/althb_wp.pdf
-Bundling NxT1 Links With a Multilink Interface
  http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/ppp_11044.pdf

Changes to our Cisco Router:
1.)     Create INT MULTILINK 1 (virtual interface)
  interface Multilink1
  ip address ?.?.?.? 255.255.255.252
  ip verify unicast source reachable-via any allow-self-ping 108
  no ip directed-broadcast
  no ip route-cache cef
  no ip route-cache
  load-interval 30
  no cdp enable
  ppp multilink
  no ppp multilink fragmentation
  multilink load-threshold 1 either
  multilink-group 1
2.)     Strip back IP addresses from member Serial Interfaces and add the
following to each Interface:
  encap ppp
  no ip route-cache distributed
  ip unnumbered Multilink1
  ppp multilink
  multilink-group 1

To view the status of the new multi1 interface use "sh ppp multilink":
SL-Gateway#sh ppp multilink

Multilink1, bundle name is [remote router name]
  Bundle up for 10:57:52
  1 lost fragments, 16609 reordered, 0 unassigned
  0 discarded, 0 lost received, 6/255 load
  0x828E9 received sequence, 0x61758 sent sequence
  Member links: 2 active, 0 inactive (max not set, min not set)
    Serial0/0, since 10:57:52, last rcvd seq 0828E5
    Serial0/1, since 10:57:50, last rcvd seq 0828E8
SL-Gateway#

Hope this helps!!
~Todd