Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Stanford break in

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:37:28 -0400

Your intuition is correct.  Some of the problems you want to avoid are
the march0fish, april0fish, may0fish cycle, the rapid change back to a
previous password, etc.  You also need to deal with the fact that a
great many apps are sending passwords over the wire in the clear.  The
best password in the world doesn't beat a sniffer.

Ross Andersons' excellent book "Security Engineering" covers these
questions in detail, and gives you both anecdotal and formal testing
insights.

Adam