Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Problem with Cisco Firewall Service Module running in transparent mode

From: greg padden <paddeng () biostat wisc edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:39:08 -0700

I have attempting to get a Cisco Firewall Service Module (FWSM) running software version 2.2(1) in transparent mode and multiple context mode.

Here is the problem that I am running into:

I have a bunch of vlans already routing on the MSFC2 blade, I want to move each of these vlans behind their own "virtual" firewall (what cisco calls a context). So, I first remove this vlan interface from the MSFC2 router, then I assign this vlan to the firewall module, assign a new vlan to the firewall module which will become the new outside vlan, then I session into the firewall module and allocate these two vlans to the new context, I then go into the context and define the firewall rules. Go back to the MSFC2 router and define the new "outside" vlan inteface on the router.

After I have done this, "some" hosts on the inside vlan cannot connect to "some" places on the Internet (or other places on the outside of the FWSM). If I take a test pc and give it the same ip address of the troubled machine I can confirm that they cannot ping, http, or IMAP to some hosts, but if I take a different ip address on the same LAN I can sucessfully connect to the same outside host (the firewall rules for testing are permit ip any any outbound and inbound, so it is NOT the firewall rules).

I have troubleshot this with Cisco about 3 times now and they cannot figure it out. After a reboot of the entire Catalyst 6500 everything works fine!!!

So here is my complete setup: Catalyst 6509 with dual supII's with duel MSFC2 routers configured in SRM mode, the Cat is running hybrid IOS 7.6.7.

Has anybody else had trouble migrating VLANS from the MSFC2 to a virtual transparent firewall on the FWSM? Or seen this behavior?