Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:43:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Side note to side note: I recently had the pleasure of watching an ATM
reboot. I won't mention the bank that it was at except to say that it
was Chase. Yes, it was, of course, running Windows. It appeared to be
completely stock Windows, too, given figures like disk consumption and
the nature of the boot sequence.

It occurred to me at the time that the difficulty of doing Extremely
Evil Things to the ATM networks of banks that use Windows based ATMs
is far, far lower than that of the (theoretical) banks running
something else on their ATMs. That implies, of course, that at some
point someone is going to victimize the stupid banks, which will
doubtless produce a scramble among them to use other, safer
software. I suspect that such mass victimization alone will produce a
change in their purchasing decisions.

The last couple of major Windows worms that took out ATM nets didn't seem
to change purchasing one bit.  I think we've gone to tactical fixes rather
than strategic fixes in the IT industry, and the war is likely lost at
this point, but we'll keep going into those battles...

It's like a crack addict who keeps telling themselves they'll quit-
corporate IT worldwide is too busy taking hits off the MS pipe to look at
what it's doing to their lives.

Paul