Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Lists of IP's we should be blocking

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:45:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Crispin Cowan wrote:

Paul D. Robertson wrote:

I've been playing a little with a contact Web site[1][2] that "introduces"
folks by degrees of separation-  I'm wondering if we could whitelist 90%
of the Internet that way with some relatively simple mail parsing programs
and a web of trust of a couple hundred people on this list?

With the number of viruses that I receive that presumably come from some
associate of mine who (a) has me in their address book and (b) is
infected, I disbelieve that a white list of people who are vetted to be
well-intentioned would be significantly useful.

I was thinking more of anti-spam, though if it was by recipient, it'd stop
most of the spoofed e-mails too.

I forgot my footnotes too-
1- I usually avoid such sites like the plague, but this may be an
interesting way of connecting with folks.
2- Some folks here have undoubtedly already gotten connection requests.

Now, a white list of people who are vetted to be well-intentioned and
*not running Windows*, that would be useful :)

Even the mass mailing viruses don't normally have a return path of the
idiot who clicked on the executable.

Paul