Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Pix501 - Concentrator

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:09:09 -0500

First off, I'd upgrade your 501 to 3DES (it's free now).  It may require
a CCO login, but it's worth the time to get your PIX registered and get
the free license.
https://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/Crypto/crypto_main.pl?prod_refer
=pix3des

Changing your transform-set on the PIX to use 3DES with the new license
might actually solve your problem all by itself, though I wouldn't
necessarily count on that.

The error message you're getting indicates that the two devices can't
agree on an IPSec SA, and crypto/hashing aren't the only issues there.
Check the access-list on the PIX including subnet masks - it should be a
perfect mirror image of the source and destination of the LAN-to-LAN
tunnel on the Concentrator - no more, no less.  Look closely at timeouts
as they must match as well.  Also check to make sure that PFS is either
enabled or disabled for that tunnel on both devices.

If all else fails, refer to the Cisco PIX 6.3 VPN implementation guide
here:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/co
nfig/index.htm

Good luck!