Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:50:20 -0500

I wrote:
HELO
MSG

OB nitpick: MAIL
I blame it all on the fine beer here in Dublin, Ireland...

Nowadays I suspect there are so many goofy SMTP clients it would
be impossible to make such a narrow definition work. I just checked
Postcast - what I am using on my laptop - and it likes to RSET a lot.
But, unlike the IETF folks, I believe that something shouldn't be in
a standard if it's not used by the preponderance of apps. Vis X.400
addressing. ;) If every firewall had choked on it, we'd have gotten
rid of it a whole lot faster!!! (fwtk-1 firewalls used to see the '/' in the
address and rewrite it since '/' was a path delimiter, thereby "fixing"
the X.400 address)    Remember - those who tolerate overcomplex
protocols are doomed to support them eternally. ;)

mjr.