Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IPS (was: Sources for Extranet Designs?)

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:02:10 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Can you explain how these "signatures" and "protocol anomaly" detectors
and "behavior and flow capabilities" are going to NOT suffer all the problems
with false positives that caused Gartner to announce that IDS was a
failure?

It's worse, IMO- I think IPS is the loss of default deny/principle of
least priv. - so rather than strengthening rulesets to stop more bad
stuff, we're back to the "prove it's bad, then we block it" mentality-
that's never worked for security before, and I don't see how it's going
to work now.

It's no wonder proponents are touting universities (apologies to the .edu
admins on this list who've overcome those battles the hard way)- where the
prove it bad mentality has had it's best survival rate.

Now that we've actually gotten back to the point where firewalls are
capable of doing application layer decisions, it seems rather silly to
toss that back out again and go with yet-another-miracle.

The only thing something like network IPS gets you over a tradtional
firewall is the ability to catch some of the tunnel-over-everything
protocols- and you can do that with a lot of modern firewalls (and could
have written it in to lots of older ones.)

Why do management layer folks have such a preference for reactive rather
than proactive security?  In today's environment, we've actually gotten to
the point where proactive security's palatable- why all the backpedaling?

(* With apologies to my horse P-nut who doesn't read this list.

Hey, he's welcome to subscribe- anyway maybe he can partner with the cat
and test IPS systems? :-P

Paul