Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Strange setup

From: "Robert L. Wanamaker" <bobw () avantsystems com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:26:58 -0500

Greetings.

I agree with Paul that without knowing more about the rulesets, etc. it's
really impossible to say.  But I would say that since you haven't indicated
the presence of any hosts on the ISA<->SonicWall segment, then it's not
really functioning as a DMZ, but merely as a segment to connect the two
devices.

This architecture, IMO, can have significant advantages in an MS shop.  As
Mark indicated, ISA functions as an application layer proxy.  I tend to
disagree that you must have 2 NIC's and dual-home the server; I know that
Microsoft indicates you must, but I have many sites operating with just one
segment in MS-Proxy/ISA.  It's a bit of torture setting one up the first
time this way, but it works fine.

The great advantage [IMO] of this architecture is that you can easily setup
egress filtering to prohibit all client workstations from accessing the
outside world directly, and permit only the ISA server such access.  A great
thing is that since ISA server is Active Directory aware, it becomes quite
easy to manage users and groups at the application level, and restrict
access to certain sites based on AD information.  Not to mention logging of
user activity, blah blah blah.

The LAN-backbone<->SonicWall segment is in place to permit mail, and any
other non-proxy aware applications to function as needed.  If the ISA server
was setup single-homed, the overall architecture would be simplified.

If that "dmz" truly has no hosts, and is not doing anything, then I think
this is a safe bet.

Regards,

Bob