Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () egotistical reprehensible net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:12:16 +0200

Not in this country, and nor should you- morally the theif and the
murderer are the ones at fault.  I can use your *pen* to kill someone
quite easily- does this mean that you're now required to have a "pen
safe?"  I can use the category 5 cable connecting your computer to the
jack in the wall to strangle someone- does that now have to be locked up?
Any legal system flawed enough to produce liability in such cases on a
regular basis is doomed to more abuse than the original damage.

Most computer crimes are not "hacking", they are about computers being used to perpetrate/help commit a crime, such as fraud.

Economic damages caused by computer crimes, worms, etc. are sky-rocketing.

The difference between if a person stole your gun to kill someone, or your .. cable.. is that a gun is a weapon.

If someone stole your gun and committed a crime you may not be tried for murder, but you will be for negligence.

Again, I don't believe users should be tried for negligence, I was just stating what would have happened if some sort of training/legislation was in place, much like for car driving. Again, this was on the philosophical level/plain.

DDoS is a weapon, used for blackmail, economic harm, etc.

The analogy, although not the severity, is perfect, imo.

        Gadi Evron.