Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: Victor Williams <vbwilliams () neb rr com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:18:20 -0500

I don't know how far-fetched it could be...when the only requirement to have Cisco Premiere status with them (which gets you huge discounts with certain products) is to have a Cisco-certified person on staff a certain number of hours per day, and at least one CCIE, CCNA, and/or CSA on staff.

It seems they just cheapened the certification(s) by making this requirement. It used to be that people with those certifications more than likely *might* know what's going on. Nowadays, it's only to assure your company can buy anything they want at 60% off retail, direct from the manufacturer. I've seen it in companies that weren't Fortune 500...let alone ones that were.

If company is a Cisco shop and sells primarily Cisco equipment to their customers, it's completely to their advantage to send employee A to take a test for a couple hundred dollars, so they can turn around and buy a $22k 6500 series switch for under $16k. That's a savings of at least $6k just for having someone on their staff who may/may not really know anything, but with an acronym behind their name.

Victor Williams

(snip)

I've been told, though I cannot personally verify this, that a number of
MNCs have people on their books whose *sole* job function is to study, sit
and pass certification exams.

To satisfy various partner requirements, auditing purposes, extra
discounts, yada yada yada. Seems far-fetched, but there you have it.