Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port 37628....Is it just another port or out of the extra ordinary???

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

pet peeve here also; for opposing reasons;

vendors toss too much crap into kernels and build too many modules. if
parts of the kernel/OS are even built as modules.  This leave kernels and
the systems they run on far to open to exploits of sub devices and parts
of the kernel structure.  Knowing how to build a tight and efficient
lernel with only those services one needs and those modules that one will
use is a requirement for effective security, on both gateway and
multi-user systems.the word 'trust' should leave a bad taste in the mouth
of anyone that uses the term in a security contexxt, even if applied
towards the vendor.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne