Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls Compared

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 05:19:05 +0530

On 01/07/04 10:32 +0200, Ben Nagy wrote:
<snip>

I feel kind of bad that we're all beating up Mr Stiennon again, though,
since I actually think the core point he made is sound:

"The future of network security is all about inspecting traffic"

The whole base of network security has always been traffic inspection.
That fundamental has never been challenged.

The question has usually been one of implementation.
Do we inspect this traffic? Do we do it in depth? How deep do we go?

I'm going to start by unfairly straw-manning Devdas:

"(generalisations follow, they might not be applicable everywhere) As I
understand it proxies watch for known good traffic. They will filter out
stuff which is not known to be good.

IPS watches for known bad traffic. It only responds to that which is known
to be bad. This is a lousy setup for a firewall.

Firewalls MUST be in a default DENY mode."

Now you're sounding curmudgeonly - reduce your dosage of Paul and mjr mails.
;)
:)

Sure, lots of people claim application intelligence, but they lie. Vendors
do that, we're weasels. Face it - everybody is already taking a "pick out
stuff that looks bad" approach to application inspection, nobody is doing

Which is just wrong. If this is valid, then we as a group need to stop
and take a long look at what we are getting for our money.
We *NEED* to make people^Wvendors understand that doing the "whack a
mole" thing will not work.

"completely understand the protocol and enforce security rules at all points
to avoid every attack". I bet five beers that that last proxy that fully
First rule: Keep protocols simple, well defined and documented.
Second rule: When in doubt, just say no.

understood a protocol and could take a protocol equivalent of "only known
good" to completely sanitise the application was probably HTML for the SEAL,
and it wouldn't work with what we call HTML today.

So we need to learn that relying solely on a chroot for security is a
bad idea. A sandbox is just a fancy chroot jail.

The key to the "future == inspecting traffic" approach is that it's actually
_doable_ in real life, unlike fully default deny secure firewalls that use
full application knowledge - positing that the world will not soon move to
the mjr sponsored model of "stop using OSes and applications that suck".
Hey, I started doing that before MJR even mentioned it here.

This "future" is just about more flexible ways to identify a lot of
malicious traffic - instead of trying to get it _all_, failing, sulking, and

On the other hand, the future should be about identifying valid traffic
and stopping everything else.

The identify malicious traffic and allow the rest is just bad design.

then completely opening up your security (which is what companies do today).
As I said before, it's pretty much a matter of what colour you paint the box
- IPS, Deep Inspection Firewall or Inspectotron Fireweasel. However -
whatever you want to call it, it's a good approach, and it works. It is NOT

It goes somewhat to migitation of threats. It does not solve the
problem. Curing the symptom is not a cure for the disease.

a more secure approach than running secure apps, using OSes that don't suck,
not letting users browse or receive attachments, and having oldschool
firewalls. However, it's a lot more realistic.

No. This is like taking painkillers to "cure" RSI. The pain is just the
symptom, but the real cure is in changing the way we work.

The problem isn't users browsing, or recieving attachments. The problem
is users doing so with applications that are not capable of restricting
what happens when something does not match their expected worldview.
(Boundary conditions of some sort not being tested for is one common
reason.)

Realistically, we *can* do a lot of things to fix issues. Continuing
user education is the best solution, but when even educated users have
issues remaining secure due to application bugs, it is time to fix the
applications and make them not suck.

Devdas Bhagat