Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:20:02 +0000

2004-07-19T18:30:26 J. Oquendo:
Financial management and reporting have a lot of credibility? I'm
sure [one of the recent newsorthy villains] would have loved you.

The folks designating Best Practices in financial reporting have a
lot of credibility, was what I said. That's folks like the FASB.
Folks who fail to follow them, or hunt for loopholes in them that
require patching, understandably don't share that credibility. I
tried to write to make clear which I was referring to, apparently I
failed.

Anyway, computer science maturing has little to do with compsec
from my point of view [...]

Understandably, there's no reason to hope we'll be alive when it
begins to happen. We gotta do computer security now, even though
we're having to make it up as we go along.

Best practices should be used as somewhat of a guideline, [...]

Well, after a fashion. Best Practices, in the context of computer
security, should be used as a touchstone for the ignorant and/or
fraudulent, trying to pretend that their field is sufficiently
mature to have something analogous to Best Practices.

-Bennett