Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls Compared

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:10:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
[1.]  I once missed the perfect chance for a rejoinder when a certain
firewall developer said "I've written things which scale well with
authentication, so I'm basing this on my experience."  I should have
replied "I tried to deploy your product with authentication on, and it
scaled not one bit, so I'm questioning your information based on my
experience."

This reminds me of a certain firewall vendor, whose sales pitch included
a stress on "We have 70% of the market share in firewalls".

We'd gotten down to technical details, and the sales guy was curious
about the platform that we had in mind [solaris, as it happens], and
said, rather relieved, "Oh, that's good!".

I asked why, and he proceeded to explain that Microsoft just wasn't a
good base for a firewall.  When I asked him how a company with that much
market share could -possibly- be a bad choice, there was a long, awkward
silence...

cheers!