Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sun/Solaris Checkpoint FW-1 Question

From: "Chris Todd" <chris () christophertodd com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:58:23 -0400

Alex,

Check out the FW1rules.pl script you can find here:
http://www.wyae.de/software/fw1rules/  It can parse the objects.c and
rulebasename.W files from your CP box and convert it to HTML (in a format
that looks like the CP GUI), or txt, csv, or sql.  I have only ever used the
HTML option (so as to grab a client's rule set for doing a firewall review),
so I can't say whether the TXT, CSV, or SQL output is useful, but I can say
this is the only script I've ever found that could parse the Checkpoint
configs.

As for converting this to other firewall rule formats, you might want to
check out FWBuilder - http://www.fwbuilder.org/  It is designed to be a kind
of platform-independent firewall rule set builder, though it doesn't
currently support Checkpoint, and you have to pay for the PIX module.  But
it will do netfilter/iptables, ipfilter, or pf.  I toyed with the idea of
tweaking the fw1rules.pl script so it would output Fwbuilder xml files that
might be imported into fwbuilder, but I have less than zero free time.  :-(
Maybe some day.

HTH,
Chris