Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Putting MS servers behind firewalls (Dilan Walgampaya)

From: Mark <firewalladmin () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:01:50 -0400

Hey, that is a good point, I like it. What about the Domain Controller
though? I assume that is what is meant by "AD Server".

Mark

However the point i was going to make was that rather than open up that high
number of connections, if you are using exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 you
can replicate over https and if you deploy a sharepoint services on the box
again you can browse using https

Hi Wizards,

I ran in to a problem putting Microsoft Servers behind a firewall. The
users has to go through the FW to access the servers. The servers I
wanted to put are on an AD domain. There were AD server, File server and
an Exchange server. These servers need a large no. of services opened
for proper operation. The worse is that exchange server work in a
dynamic port setup where the server opens a random port for each
different client. MS site has some registry edits that is supposed to
correct this dynamic port setup issue. But when I tried these they did
not work as per the document describes.

Has anybody done this kind of a setup (with other than an ISA server).
I am interested in doing this with Netscreen/Pix and Linux IPTables. Any
help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dilan

End of firewall-wizards Digest