Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Evolution of Firewalls

From: Christian Kreibich <christian () whoop org>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:10:19 +0000

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 18:26, Dave Piscitello wrote:

Emphasis on "functionality" not implementation, and "inspect all things
that ought to have their own port # but are now tunneled through port
80"(primarily, not exclusively). May the "don't proliferate port number
assignment" gods forgive what I suggest here but I honestly don't think we
make life any easier by creating one gaping hole than several dozen
possibly containable ones.

I recall a thread on this list in which the majority seemed to agree
with this. It's from about a year ago (wow, I think I'm officially a
long-time lurker now :) and also contains a nice discussion of the pros
and cons of smoking:

http://honor.icsalabs.com/pipermail/firewall-wizards/2003-April/014339.html

Cheers,
Christian.