Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
I'm generally amused by the extent to which people panic about mobile
users - often while failing to take basic precautions about their internal
users.
That's because a good portion of the recent worm infections were through
the "hibernating laptop" vector- or at least that's the theory amongst
those who needed to point a finger.

Heh. That's up there with the "Our company never has security issues"
quotes, and "I don't know how that porn got on my computer!".

Beyond that, I think it's not accurate to presume that most mobile users
are satisfied with email and web access.  One of the recurring questions
that we receive from our mobile users is "How can I access <foo>", where
<foo> is typically a document store, or a customer-facing application,
like a parts ordering database.

All too true, but *if* it brings in the thought of internal segmentation,
and internal firewalling, then I think it's a net benefit.

I'd agree - unfortunately the usual result is panicing about mobile users
and the "external" demark, and ignoring the soft chewy interior.

There's one [nameless] company, where [like many others], external and
mobile users are allowed to VPN into the office.  The office is protected
by a firewall - but there's nothing behind it... and the VPN offers a
pipeline straight into the soft chewy center.  As an extra bonus, the
VPN client as distributed cheerfully supports concurrent network
connections, so the VPN users are effectively creating a pipe from the
Internet to the heart of the "secure" network.

It'd be great to claim that this was an unusual configuration.

While I think that security by user class is a good step, I too think that
laptop user isn't a good user class.  However, I'd have no issues with
using it as one to start the process of internal network
comparmentalization.

Any port in a storm, indeed ;>

cheers!