Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:21:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Eugene Kuznetsov wrote:

[snip]
I'd argue that boxes with equal 'ubiquity' start with an equal
'targetability coefficient' which is then adjusted based on
end use (kudos,
spam, intel, ...) and 'breakability'.  Since Windows scores

+1, very good points...

It is the "level of functionality/complexity" (to first order, proportional
to # of lines of code) X "ubiquity" X "value-of-seized-platform" X
"security-quality".

Hmmm, but we're missing modifiers, such as "degree of difficulty,"
"platform knowledge," and some quantification of "security-quality" that
accounts for really poor designs.

The more "connected" you are and the richer the interfaces that are exposed,
the more security risk there is. That's why RPC interfaces are so much more

That's mostly complexity- rearing it's head as bugs/kloc and poor design
(a la "security is not addressed in this document.")

dangerous that simple web servers, and web servers are more vulnerable than
IP forwarding engines. The underlying security of the code is part of the
issue, but it's an independent variable.

Yet, it would seem that we've seen more damage from mail clients than from
RPC services, and more from Web servers than RPC clients (overall damage,
not per-machine severity.)

Paul