Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: 802.1x was: IPv6 comes in the game

From: "Victor Williams" <vbwilliams () essvote net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 07:15:33 -0500

I don't think anyone here is implying that 802.1x authentication is the
end-all method to securing a network...be it wireless or not.  I think with
any security implementation, you have to use a combination of
tools/methodologies/rules, in conjunction with a security policy that allows
you to enforce the aforementioned to get the job done.

In my limited experience with wireless (because it hasn't been around that
long), using 802.1x authentication in conjunction with user-level
certificates, MAC address filtering, and a pretty stringent ruleset, I feel
as secure with my WLAN implementation as with the wired
implementation...sometimes more so...and I'm leaving out a lot of other
things you can do here for the sake of simplicity.  I can put an access
point anywhere in my network, but I know not only will it have to comply
with my WLAN ruleset, but it will also have to comply with the ruleset of
where I physically plug it in (it's logical place in the network scheme, as
well as the physical port I plug it into the network).

My original statement was that 802.1x worked as advertised on some common
platforms that probably already exist in people's networks (Windows
2000/2003 server).  It wouldn't be a difficult thing to implement in a test
environment and fool around with.  I messed with it for a few days and got a
good understand of it's strengths and weaknesses.

Also, 802.1x happens at the layer-2 level...so this should be unaffected by
the existence of IPv6 anywhere in the network.  If your switch or access
point knows about the RADIUS server and how to reach it, there's no issue
there.

Victor Williams