Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:21:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Adam Shostack wrote:
On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 08:32:16PM -0800, Stephen P. Berry wrote:
| >My self-deception is that a refresher is always good, especially as I
| >find us practitioners sometimes fall into patterns of thinking.
|
| A quick grep through this thread indicates that Mitnick has been mentioned
| about two dozen times and Shimomura and Markoff have been mentioned exactly
| zero times.  Discuss.

So how many times has Abagnale been mentioned?  Any correlation with
the pro- or anti- boycotters to correctly name the speaker in
question?

Somebody should get on the stick and put up a survey. I'd love to see what the silent and/or moderated-out majority feel about this sort of thing.

This has been one of the more stimulating and thought provoking discussions on any mailing list I've been on recently. Thanks to everybody for keeping it interesting and mostly above the belt.

Kudos Paul (and or substitute moderators) for keeping it from getting out of hand.

--
</chris>

There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
  -- C.A.R. Hoare