Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

SecurePoint Loses Business Partner Over Hacker Hire

From: Vin McLellan <vin () theworld com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:00:02 -0500

German antivirus company H+BEDV Datentechnik has cancelled its
partnership with SecurePoint -- a prominent German vendor of firewall and VPN servers, personal firewalls, and various other network security products -- because of SecurePoint's decision to hire Sven Jaschan, the young man who allegedly created the Sasser worm.

H+BEDV chief executive Tjark Auerbach said his company does not want his company's product development effort to be tainted by association with an alleged malware writer. According to Znet news:

Jaschan, who at one point was said to have been responsible for 70 percent of the world's viruses, was hired by SecurePoint earlier this year. The company's offer came shortly after Jaschan was released on bail after he admitted writing the virus. Jaschan has not yet been sentenced.

Auerbach said he made the decision to break ties with SecurePoint two minutes after he heard that Jaschen would be working there.

"I cannot support the decision," Auerbach said. "It casts a shadow of doubt over the IT security industry, which has the top priority of the minimization of security risks. This, and not least the security interest of our customers, motivates us in halting cooperation with SecurePoint."

November 15, 2004