Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security of HTTPS

From: Chuck Vose <vosechu () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:43:42 -0800

Now that teachers have gotten smart enough to research potential
plagiarism using google, lamer students have reacted by social
engineering mailing lists in order to obtain custom text or pointers.

Can't we simply do what we usually do and hijack the thread to
something that we're interested in? I believe that any question that
spurns conversation is a good question. We're all adults here and
questions that are obviously homework will most likely be ignored in
public and rtfm'ed in private.

What I'm getting at is that posting an rtfm in public is almost as
annoying to me as the initial "please answer my homework question". If
people want to answer the question, as paul often does, then who are
we to complain about it? Part of the reason I believe this, is simply
that rtfm's tend to erupt into flamewars and those are definitely best
kept in private.

Finally, how can you call it social engineering a mailing-list?
Everyone knows what going on; some people decide to respond, some
don't. But, as the latest entry suggests, sometimes people really just
didn't find it when they did look.

So, perhaps the best method is simply to follow the all common
etiquette and simply ignore or rtfm off the list. It seems silly to
demand compliance with mailing-list etiquette while breaking it
yourself.