Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: ISP firewalling of residential customers - was - About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:36:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

By far, the best compromise is to filter at the customer end point. At least

Some filtering there is "best," but endpoint compromise and out of zone
control don't make it always the "best" place...

one fairly large ISP now ships a broadband gateway with the firewall

Who?  Which gateway?  Configured with what policy?

preconfigured. The customer is free to alter the filters if so inclined, but
we all know that the default configuration will remain in place 99.9% of the
time. There is a risk of tech support calls with this just like any other
setup. However, this policy seems to me to be the most equitable across the

That pretty much rocks.

board. The trick is getting the proper ruleset in place. For instance, the
aforementioned ISP did not enable outbound TCP 1494, which caused a problem
for telecommuters using Citrix without going through CSG. With the proper
research, this would have been avoidable. They also failed to put a workable
management system in place to remedy this problem. Both mistakes you should
take note of.

Heck, I'm floored that someone's doing egress filtering by default!  I
would like to know who, their praises should be sung from the highest
peaks!

Paul