Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 redo;;

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:44:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

R. DuFresne wrote:
1.  how are firewalls going to deal with IPv6 addressing?  Or, will IPv6
negate the need for firewalling and push everything into encryption
boundries?

I don't think network-level crypto is going to solve any
interesting problems (and may create new ones) so it
won't ever become pervasive. This is especially the case,
in my opinion, because in the last few years most of the
apps that "need" security have added tunnelling over
SSL or other crypto as an option. The place where
host-to-host crypto is attractive is between hosts that
have some kind of pre-established trust relationship.
I.e.: more like a VPN member than an E-commerce
transaction. My guess is that the vast majority of
crypto in use on the Internet today is more the transactional
type in which individuals are temporarily establishing
secured connections between machines that don't
really "know eachother" well enough to justify establishing
a full trust boundary between them. The only way I see
IPv6 crypto becoming pervasive is if it's so ridiculously
easy to set up and it's turned on by default, that nobody
notices it's there and working. What's the likelihood of
that?

I guess the short form of what I just said is, "the IETF
took too long, and that particular problem is being
addressed in an ad hoc manner and the installed base
will rule."

2.  icmp redirects, are they still a danger in the IPv6 realm such as they
were and are in traditional TCP/IP?

I'd love to know the answer to this one, too. ;)
I'm comfortable assuming that there will be whole new kinds
of attacks to discover. If options and features convert into
vulnerabilities and opportunities for DOS at the usual rate,
IPv6 is going to be a fertile playground for hackers.

I had an off list reply to this specific which stated this is still an
issue in IPv6 and should be addressed as it now is in IPv4.

thanks for the replies.  I'm still trying to get a handle on how IPv6 will
function as pertains firewalls and other security tools;

point being the vast majority of firewalls are filters by nature, scoring
upon IP addresses <singular and in ranges> in conjunction with ports
<protocol specifics are limited to proxy firewall systems, the vast
majority or products key on a port number, rather then protocol behaviour>
so, I'm confused how this might work with IPv6 and the various addresses
that an interface can be configured with in this way.  I did a google
search to see what firewalls were IPv6 complaint, with the intention of
doing a second or more to see how other security devices <i.e. IDS (it's
various forms) and such> faired in this area as well, but, noted that
vendors seem to still be working on firewalls, let alone other products in
use in IPv4 for network and systems security so stopped at that point...

Another offlist reply pointed me to a SANS cert paper someone did for
their cert process on how OPENBSD can do this already with ip, but, I have
been unable to access the paper in question, SANS seems to have lost it...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!