Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: UPS Worldship connection problems with new firewall device

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:22:18 -0400

Ask UPS technical support for a description of ports that need to be allowed
both outbound and inbound.  But don't let them sell you on '1024-65535 both
directions.'  That's an answer that vendors that 1) write crappy
applications and 2) don't know the workings of said crappy applications give
to customers in the hope that it doesn't matter.

Following that, the next step is to turn up firewall logging and/or a
sniffer and see what the Worldship client is trying to connect to that it
can't.

With SonicWall boxes, things like PortShield or web proxy settings could
potentially disrupt this type of traffic even if the access rules don't
explicitly prohibit them.  Also, if Worldship uses any sort of VPN
tunneling, like PPTP/L2TP/IPSec, the firewall might be disrupting that -
trying to respond to key exchange requests instead of forwarding them on,
etc.

PaulM