Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:33:26 -0000

Frank Knobbe wrote:
<SNIP>
That's why I was never happy with SecureID tokens since the PIN is
transmitted during logon and thus subject to interception by an
attacker. I preferred tokens that require the PIN to unlock the token,
but never transmit the PIN.

Hashing the PIN+OTP locally would produce a different hash each time. The PIN would never be transmitted, but the user experience would be identical to current systems where it is. I don't know if this is how any token systems work; I just thought I'd chuck it in.

The main reason for the post is because I have a problem with PINs that unlock tokens (or smart cards for that matter) in order for some credential from the token to be used for authentication (in isolation of the original, or any other, PIN or password). While I appreciate that the user requires "something he knows" (to unlock the token) and "something he has" (the token) in order to log in, I disagree that an attacker would necessarily require both.

Imagine a token (smartcard, PDA, smart phone, whatever) that usually operates in this fashion, but can be made to reveal its workings after it has been successful attacked. In this situation, it would be possible for the attacker to steal the "something he has" and produce valid credentials. In the case where the "something he knows" is transmitted to the server (or combined with the OTP and hashed locally) this would not be possible.

The token alone should never be enough to let you log in.
<SNIP>

Exactly! :)

BTW, the "something you are" (biometrics) always makes me chuckle. Using fingerprints for authentication is like writing your password on every surface you touch. It doesn't take much imagination to conceive of devices that could scan faces, the iris, the retina, etc, yet appear innocuous. It all depends how much you want the credentials.

Of course, specific biometric implementations do not need to fall foul of this vulnerability; when we (the industry) get past the hype and debate actual architectures, we might come up with something usable and secure. :)

Kev

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP
Electric Cat (Cheltenham) Ltd