Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Application-level Attacks

From: "Ofer Shezaf" <Ofer.Shezaf () breach com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:09:54 -0500

I used the term well known study because they talk about it very much,
but I never saw the source.

For example out in:
http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,67973
,00.html

You will find:

...John Pescatore, an analyst at Stamford, Conn.-based Gartner Inc.,
said Web application security is a serious problem for two-thirds of all
corporate Web sites.

"The current generation of firewalls focuses on the network level, kind
of like the walls of a fort stopping direct attack," said Pescatore.
"However, close to 75% of today's attacks are tunneling through
applications. Application-level firewalls are something that any
critical infrastructure company needs to look at...

But saying this, I think that nearly by definition most attacks are on
the application layer: how many attacks employ IP header or TCP header
vulnerabilities?

~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf
CTO, Breach Security