Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application-level Attacks

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:37:05 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

I'd tentatively offer the following description of application-level attacks as:

Attacks that take advantage of software failures in the implementation of an
application (layer 7) protocol. By implication, application attacks are
specific to a given implementation of a protocol, for example, a buffer
overrun in HTTP request parsing, or a SQL injection attack. Note that
multiple implementations can share a common (independent or based
on shared library use) instance of a given bug.

Hmmm, but an SQL injection attack isn't really a protocol issue- it's an
unexpected input issue- and I think the distinction between boneheaded
application developers and boneheaded library developers is relatively
important.

Protocol level attacks take advantage of flaws in the implementation of
lower-level protocols. By implication, protocol level attacks are specific to
a given implementation of a protocol. For example, ICMP "ping of death"
attacks took advantage of how many ICMP implementations failed to
handle packets larger than allowed by the specification.

Infrastructure or specification level attacks are another category I would
hold as separate, and they depend on failures of the protocol specification.
For example, FTP bounce attacks take advantage of fundamental
braindamage in how the FTP RFC defines FTP operation. Specification
flaws like this require the defending system to _break_ protocol compliance
(as the ftwk's FTP-gw did) in order to protect against the attack.

So, I guess what I am saying is that, in Marcus-land, almost all
attacks are application level. :)   They always have been.

I tend to put them into "Human, protocol, application and transport"
buckets, mostly because those are the places I get to apply controls.  In
reality many threats transit multiple of those, and some attacks take
advantage in bugs in all of them, but I sill get to pick priority of my
controls, so that's still how I separate them.

Paul