Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: External Load Balancing

From: David Lang <dlang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:47:49 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Richard St John wrote:

Good morning list,

We are currently running in an outbound load balanced setup. A packet
from inside has a one in four chance of hitting a specific firewall.

We are beginning to look at load balancing the external side of our
network so that a packet from the outside has a one in four chance of
hitting a specific firewall.

A quick search of the internet turned up:

Resonate Central Dispatch
Radware Web Server Director
Alteon ACE director 2
F5 Big/ip
Coyote Point Equalizer E250
Holon Tech Hyper Flow 2
IBM WebSphere Perf. Pack
Hydra Web Hydra
Ipivot Intelligent Broker 4000

you may also want to evaluate the linux LVS option. I haven't used it yet so I can't say much about it other than it exists. (trying to get time to evealuate it myself)

David Lang
--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.