Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:46:07 -0400

The problem is that people have never truly analysed trust in a systematic
mathematical way.
Trust is assumed to be a transitive property when it obviously is not. If Alice
Trusts Bob and Bob trusts Charles it is not true that Alice should or would
trust Charles. Trust is not even transitive.   We seem to see it as a simple
relationship when it is not even well understood at all. There has recently been
some theoretical work on trust algebras (see
http://security.polito.it/cms2003/Program/Roessler13/1Roessler.pdf or
http://security.dstc.edu.au/staff/ajosang/papers/algcert.pdf for example) but
little of it has filtered into actual practice.  Yet we are building whole
financial edifices on completely flawed understanding of how to use distributed
trust. We need to at least develop some systems that do it right so developers
have some way of learning how to create viable systems that can have distributed
security.