Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:16:22 -0400

It's a failed analogy all around, though.  In the case of bear vs. runner,
one bear can only maul one runner at one time.  I've got screens and screens
worth of alert data that show that a single e-bear can chase and maul
thousands of runners at the same time.

I agree that doing something is better than doing nothing.  I also agree
that 2-factor AAA is viable and definitely worth the effort and expense for
some organizations (including mine).  But if your goal for securing your
organization is to be better than you think your "neighbors" (whether
they're in physical, logical, or market proximity) are, then all you can
hope to achieve is to not suffer a compromise at the same time in the same
way as your neighbors.

As far as making my network a "hard target" in the military sense (Google
for "hard target interdiction" or HTI), no thank you. :)

PaulM